Friday, July 28, 2006

Leave Before Afghanistan

I am scheduled to depart for Afghanistan on the 8th of Aug 2007. I will return to work two days prior to prepare my combat clothing with a coat of permethrin to prevent mosquitos and other desease carrying insects from transmitting malaria. I have started my mefloquine pills again and much to my chagrin the side effect of not sleeping the day of is still a reality. I have been given a lot of leave and I have attempted to make best use of it. We visited Saint John and Pattie's family for slightly less than a week. We did not get to see as much of everyone as we had wanted but at least we were brought up to speed with the local gossip and what was news in the community. At this time I am reading a book on the beginnings of the first world war and the rise of imperial Germany. We went camping with Chris and Gen as well as Kyle and Jessica and realized that both Pattie and I are extremely competitive persons each with our own way of doing things. Although we didn't fight all the time there were moments that both of us felt slighted and belittled by the other and we realized that we are much better when on our own without third party interference because we are both more resigned to be ourselves. We will be linking up with my Aunt and Uncle in Algonquin Park in the next couple days however we will take a day to re-set in hopes of tightening up our camping SOP's and getting ready for another week of camping.

No comments: