Monday, August 07, 2006

One Day from Deployment

I am now all packed and ready for deployment and the reality of it all seems to have hit me. Yesterday we dipped our combat uniforms in a solution containing Permethrin, a chemical used to discourage the infestation and bites of insects that may carry desease. Although they were still wet after being hung in a modular tent for the better part of 20 hrs they were still somewhat wet but packed well none the less. After the addition of my combats and the issued tourniquet, quick clot and pressure bandage, we went through the DAG (departure assistance group) ensuring that kit was properly packed and all of our administration was complete. Passports, NOK forms, ID cards and the like.
During the last week mom and dad came up for a visit and so we went to the beach and my mother and I went to see Stompin Tom Connors. Good show and it was great show to see prior to deployment. Pattie gave me a departure present, that after a few reservations, I was very glad that she did. I am now a proud owner of an IPod. Amazingly I can store my whole CD collection on this small little card like computer. I can play video, download new casts and a variety of other things. Amazing what technology can do. If I want, I can now listen to around 6 days worth of music without stopping. That is .... if I want.
I have become very excited and nervous over the last few days, and now with the prospect of leaving Pattie and home, I am very anxious to get the next 6 months overwith. It will not go by quickly enough. I suppose it helps that I believe in the mission, however it is hard to justify why it should be Canadians that are allocated to the task. Perhaps because we can or maybe because as a nation we feel a sense of moral responsibility to help. Regardless, I have no allusions about the mission. We will not be the decisive factor in this conflict. We cannot win this war.... only the Afghan people can. However we do create the conditions for success by preventing the Taliban from reclaiming power and eliminating any forward progress. The key to success however is our ability to conduct reconstruction efforts in an uncertain and volitile environment. Regardless of our attempts to try and create a secure environment, it is essential that the locals see that we are legitimately making a bonifide effort to reconstruct Afghanistan and increase the standard of living amongst the population. Executing these tasks in the current security environment is indeed a challenge and we may not succeed, however this is our goal.
Canadians are so much more priviledged than that of our Global Village neighbours, and we must constantly remember that. And so off I go with IPod in hand back into the third world. I hope Canada remains pretty much the same until I get back. Cheers.

No comments: